Sunday, September 24, 2017

Sunday Fall 2017- still plugging along- mostly photos, and a few geeky graphs- September 2017

What's working for me September 2017

1.I go through a Quarterly Weight graph review. Here's a peek at what I review quarterly. Failure for me to look at different trend lines = weight gain for me. So I'll look back 1-2 years. Here's a Q3 2017 look back into 2016. 

My answer to is Intermittent Fasting correlated to a lean weight maintenance body and favorable outcomes. Answer: YES!!!  Also, did my total intake calorie wise contribute to my 2015 to 2016 weight gain? Probably not. More to come on this. 

Thanks to Heads Up Health, I can look at my data over time. Not an ad, just a tool that I use.

Body weight VS Calorie Intake Jan 2016 to Dec 2016


































Another tool- My Fitness Pal.  I noticed that the "challenges" like OATMEAL would have me weight gaining and not in weight maintenance. Careful what ads and challegenges you get exposed to on that free version of the app. Try 30 days grain free and see what that does. How do you look, feel and perform? How's your two hour post glucose after you reintroduce OATMEAL?  Key learnings.

2011 to 2017 long term weight maintenance


2. Portable LCHF/Keto/Paleo meals on my beach walks. Yep!!! Roasted chicken, sauteed cabbage, guacamole, pink salt, balsalmic vinegar, and olive oil. For the WIN!!!  My work insurance discount is in early October 2017. Bringing my own lunch helps financially for planning for my life goals. WIN-WIN!



3. Eating to keep my health goals in mind is one part, but the other part is getting out to the beach to releax, take photos and be in nature It helps my weight maintenance game for sure. And #walkingforweight maintenance is another helpful tool in my maintenance plans.


Beach Glass

Carlsbad Cliffs, Sept 2017

Carlsbad Tide Pools Sept 2017

What didn't work in the past

1. Not reviewing key data like body weight, food tracking, and taking action within 1- 2 months of weight gain.

2. Eating WW enchiladas (low fat/ high carb) or Lean Cuisine Pizzas and thinking I was going to get lean and it was cuisine. Neither was true and I had my head in the sand about thinking weight loss/weight maintenance was totally calories in, calories out. Those matter, but so do food quality and processed carbs. Sigh. OATMEAL was not a lean, normal weight food. In fact, OATMEAL was a key driver to almost being diagnosed a type 2 diabetic.

3. Walking a lot while morbidly obese was possible, but I got plantar fascitis and almost had to cancel a family walking trip out of it. Of course, adding in high inflammatory food to fuel and the extra weight did NO FAVORS to my health and well being. But they told me I could have a Skinny Cow Ice cream and walk off the points!?!??  Somehow I knew it wouldn't work but I didn't want to stop getting food high. Food Addiction stinks.

Hope you are all well this Fall season. Plan for the holidays now. We are a little less than 100 days away from the end of the year. Plan now how you'll deal with the junk food. Escape Common VS Normal right now.  Probably a blog post on that, soon!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your beach walk. I am enjoying this beautiful weather here in Maine too where I live. Soaking up that Vit D outside. Enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can get outside, Carol!!! Love it. :)

      Delete
  2. I love all your data. You can tell you are a science person with all these numbers! I can very much appreciate this approach. I don't have th data/charts that you do. But I get on the scale almost every day. And I do eat lower carb though I don't track (I know, I know, you have already urged me to do so in last posts!). I also weigh most oils and meats. I have stopped weighing my veggies, and I don't weigh fruit because I recently dropped all fruit except for a few berries at night. I guess this is why I am a rebel according to Gretchen Rubin's tendencies!

    Thanks for sharing the data. Super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. It's nice to do what works for you. That's the beauty of Paleo/LCHF/ Fasting- you get to customize for the health outcomes within your control, and hopefully optimize the ones that you've already got. I can see why folks don't need to track, but for me, the 15% of the time that I don't have natural on/off signals- it can put me into a zone of weight gain that can be hard to pull out from the cycle.

      Delete
  3. Hello, would you mind a few questions re: CRP numbers privately, like via email? I'm interested in your thoughts on what really brought the number down (diet? weight loss?--if it's possible to distinguish), how often you got it measured, how quickly you saw improvement, and how it's been going for you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie, Sure, I can answer as to my own experience, and send you a few links to articles for more reading. I can tell you I only get hs-CRP measured 1X per year at my annual health check. Hit me up in an email if you'd like.

      I can't give any individual advice, but I know you know that. Funny thing is when my hs-CRP was 6.8 (heart attack level)- high inflammation nobody said anything. Eat low carb higher natural fat and EVERYONE loses their cool. It's so backwards- IMO.

      Maybe my one co-worker who is Westin A. Price said, hey, sounds good- high natural fat, cook at home, some vegetables, herbs, broth, good oils, high HDL, good ratios. Told me I was living with my health in mind. That's about it. Sigh.

      Delete